How to control automatic tool calibration in Mastercam
Some machines offer a WIPS (Wireless Intuitive Probe System) option, allowing for the automatic tool calibration and setup of length and diameter offsets. This function is usually activated by a subprogram call (example: G65 P9023 T##).
In order support this option in Mastercam, two actions are required: The first consists in customizing Mastercam to allow the definition of WIPS tool calibration. The second requires the customization of the CAM-POST post-processor to generate the appropriate subprogram call.
1. Mastercam Customization:
- From the Mastercam tool bar, select Settings → Machine Definition Manager…
- Click the Edit the control definition icon on the top menu bar.
- Activate the Text tab and type the following text in the first Miscellaneous Integer field:
“Tool calibration (1=activate)”
- Press to exit the control definition dialog and Save the changes when prompted.
- Press again to exit the machine definition dialog and Save the changes once again.
- In the Mastercam job, edit the properties of the toolpaths which require tool calibration. Select Misc Values on the left-hand pane and enter 1 in the first field, which is now labeled Tool calibration (1 = activate).
2. CAM-POST Customization:
- Open your post-processor in the Questionnaire.
- In the Post-processor Customization section, write the following Toolchange shutdown macro:
- When executing the post, all Mastercam operations where Miscellaneous Integer #1 has been set to 1 will produce the tool calibration subprogram call with the current tool number.
Benefit to User
Allow for the automatic tool calibration and setup of length and diameter offsets.
For more information or comments, please do not hesitate to contact Phil at TechTipTuesday@icam.com